School History

Aerial View of Madison High

Madison High School was opened in the fall of 1953 and was the first six-year unit in Davidson County especially planned for such an educational program.

For two years, the Board of Education searched for a suitable site in Madison for the high school. Of the several sites proposed, the site at Old Hickory Blvd. was selected by the Davidson County Board of Education. Under the supervision and recommendation of a committee from George Peabody College, Magistrates James Watson and W.E. Nix, Mr. Ernest Chadwell of the Davidson County Board of Education and many other community leaders, Madison High School was given its start.

When Madison High School was opened in September, 1953 with grades seven through ten, there was an enrollment of 612. By September, 1955, the enrollment had reached 992 and in 1956 Madison graduated its first senior class. The years of 1959 – 1960 saw Madison’s enrollment increase to over 1,400.

Madison High SchoolMadison High School opened in 1953 with 24 faculty members and by 1959 had increased to 53.

As the enrollment grew, new facilities were added to compensate for it. In the summer of 1954, the west wing and the vocational building in the back of the main building were built. In the summers of 1958 and 1959 additional classrooms were added to the main building and in 1959 a new gym for the girls was constructed.

As time went on, MHS excelled in Sports, Forensics, Musical Activities among other activities.

Madison lost two former students (Charles Paul Headley – 1962 and James Von Howard – 1965) as a result of the Vietnam War. Both men are buried in the Nashville National Cemetery. Virgil Wright (Class of 1962) was lost on the USS Scorpion (Skipjack Class Nuclear Attack Submarine) in 1968.

Two of the “biggest events” of every year was Hillbilly Day and Sadie Hawkins week.

During the school year 1968 – 1969, MHS shared the building with DuPont High School (Madison morning – DuPont afternoon) as a result of fire at their school.

MHS had 4 Principles (Herman DePriest, Harvey Hertenstein, Richard Seay and James Neely) and over 250 Teachers (Fall 1953 – End of School Year 1986)

The Madison High School Alumni Association was formed in 1995.

The old Band, Chorus, Art (including the darkroom) Rooms, Woodworking Shop, Football dressing room and the Track were torn down (approximately 1992) to make room for the new Taylor Stratton Elementary School. The main building was renovated and reopened as Madison Middle School in 2010. Several changes were made during the renovation. The old Girls gym was converted to the Art Room, Chorus Room and Band Room. The Cafeteria has been enlarged, a new kitchen and Floating Ceilings in the Library and all Classrooms. The Office was changed somewhat and a new Main Entrance was built around back. Currently, another Wing is under construction adjacent to the West Wing to be opened in Spring 2015 which will add 12 more Classrooms.

The Rams, Colors, Alma Mater and Madison High School Spirit live on at Madison Middle School.

The Madison Middle School continues to use the football field to play their home games. A new scoreboard at the field was erected in 2012 and rededicated to Herman DePriest and Coach Bill Brimm.


Contact Information:
    
P. O. Box 836
     Madison, Tennessee 37116-0836
     Email

Top of page

 

Website Support

Copyright © 2008-2020 Madison High School Alumni Association
Revised: November 25, 2020